Medical Assistant Training
The Medical Assistant certificate program prepares students for a career as a medical assistant. Skills sets gained are medical assisting, clinical skills, clerical and administrative procedures including reception and scheduling, medical terminology, electronic charting, clinical testing, basic pharmacology, HIPAA training, first aid, and CPR certification.
- Basic medical terminology
- Basic Anatomy and Physiology
- Basic Pharmacology
- Clinical procedures and skills
- Healthcare Law and Ethics; HIPAA
- Medical office skills
- Customer service
- Communication skills
- Medical math
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Electronic Health Records
- Professional Development: resumes, cover letters, job searching and practice interviews
- Individual learning plans
- Individual employment counseling with a case manager
An internship in a healthcare setting is included. Job search, coaching, and support services are provided to employee and employer.
Classes offered twice annually
Monday-Friday, 9am - 3pm
Includes 720 training hours (30hrs/week for 24 weeks) and 120 hour minimum internship
Who is eligible?
- Applicants 18 years or older, who have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Unemployed, underemployed, and dislocated workers
- Students who are motivated to learn new skills and secure employment
All course materials included with tuition.
Medical Assistant Training Plus
This program is available for students needing English as a Second Language and/ or remediation classes.
This program prepares students for entry level clerical and bookkeeping positions with job titles such as accounting clerk, posting clerk, accounts receivable clerk, payroll clerk, or bookkeeper.
This program is designed for advanced level ESOL speakers who seek training in the bookkeeping & accounting field. The PLUS program includes an additional contextualized instructional material that is designed to enhance comprehension and retention for ESOL students. Additional supports are provided based on the individual learning plan.
The course will give students who have minimal or no previous knowledge of accounting a basic understanding of accounting / bookkeeping principles and procedures used to record, classify, and summarize financial data. Students will become familiar with accounting terminology, financial records, forms, and statements currently used by industry. In addition, the program includes in-office training and computer skills, business math, and job development skills.
The Bookkeeping and Accounting certificate program teaches skills in manual and computerized accounting and bookkeeping functions, including preparation and maintenance of ledgers, journals, and adjusting closing entries, basic financial statements, cash and banking procedures, payroll, and accounts payable and receivable.
Comprehensive training includes:
Manual and computerized accounting procedures includes extensive training in QuickBooks and Excel accounting programs
Business writing and communication skills
- Northstar computer literacy certification
- Microsoft Office and typing skills
Work readiness skills include: business etiquette, cover letters, resumes, job search techniques, mock interviews, job placement and reference assistance
- A 120-hour minimum internship in an accounting office will get you real work experience and have you well prepared to enter the workforce
- Financial literacy seminar
- Food and Nutrition Education seminar
- Independent learning plans
- Individual counseling and job coaching
- Case management and tutoring