Readmitted/Reactivated Students

New graduate during commencement

How do you know if you need to be readmitted or reactivated?

Applies to former undergraduate degree students who answer “yes” to any of the following:

  • Took a course(s) at another institution since leaving RIC
  • Have any course credit(s) that are 10 years or older
  • Were academically dismissed

You will need to apply for readmission to the college. Don’t worry, we will make the application process easy for you. If you decide to enroll, you must notify Admissions and they will postpone payment of the enrollment deposit until your term bill is due.

Students who need to improve their RIC GPA in order to be eligible to apply for readmission should plan to retake those courses at RIC as a non-degree student. Repeating the course at another institution will not change a RIC GPA, nor may the course be counted for transfer credit. Potential readmit applicants may wish to use a GPA calculator to estimate a new GPA if a course is repeated. Our Resource Team will help you develop a plan to improve your GPA so that you can be readmitted.

Applies to former undergraduate degree students who meet the following criteria:

  • Left in good academic standing
  • Have not taken any course(s) at another institution since leaving RIC
  • Do not have any course credit(s) 10 years or older

If your answer is "yes" to each of the above, you can easily be reactivated as a degree student again by contacting the Records Office at 401-456-8213 during regular business hours. A reactivation form will be emailed to you. You will be notified via email when you have been reactivated and you will be given your username and password and registration time. If you need academic advisement your first semester back, you may contact the chair of the department of your major (or if you are Undeclared, OASIS is your advisor).

Maybe your interests have changed since you were last at RIC and you are considering changing your major. Our Resource Team can point you in the right direction to explore majors and programs currently available.

Upon readmission, RIC credit earned more than 10 years prior to the date of readmission will be treated as transfer credit and evaluated under the current transfer model. Courses which are 10 years old or older in which the student earned a grade of "C" or higher will be awarded elective credit or, if appropriate, general education credit. The chair of the student's major department may evaluate how or if specific major course credit is to be awarded. If you do not wish to have the 10-year rule applied, contact the Admissions Office at​. Even if the 10-rule rule is waived, the department chair must still approve courses applicable to the major.​​​

Rhode Island College entrance


Records Office

Responsible for the registration processes, recording of student academic progress, scheduling course offerings and the physical facilities, preparing degree evaluations and certifying graduation, providing transcript services, and certifying attendance.