Youth Development M.A.
Rhode Island College’s M.A. in youth development is the first of its kind in New England. Designed for early and mid-career professional youth workers, this advanced degree program equips you with the knowledge and skills you need to lead, design, research and innovate in youth settings. Emphasis is on social justice, culturally relevant care and experiential learning. Candidates design their own concentration comprised of two elective courses and a capstone project. Coursework includes field experiences that provide opportunities to learn from and lead Rhode Island’s vibrant youth development community.
Click below for information on admission and course requirements, and course descriptions.
The Youth Development MA Program at Rhode Island College is delighted to announce a new scholarship that will be available to all YDEV MA students. Beginning in Fall 2022, all students will be eligible to receive a $1000 tuition scholarship over the course of their studies. As a program rooted in social justice, this scholarship fund is part our commitment to equity and access in higher education and the field of Youth Development.
- PURPOSEFUL PLAY: Understand that art and play can be a starting point for exploring content and community through ideals such as democracy, care, and inclusion.
- CARE: Experience, practice, critically engage, and shape the intentional and diverse practices of care that shape youth and community.
- IDENTITY: Explore both self + others + hone the skills to support young people, staff, and communities in identity exploration.
- ADVOCACY & SOCIAL JUSTICE: Explore programming and policy through the lenses of power and difference in order to better understand how to build, sustain and lead positive communities with youth.
- LEADING WITH: Design and practice democratic, collaborative leadership models with youth, colleagues and partners in the field.