Data Analytics Minor
What is Data Analytics?
Data analytics is the set of skills you need to collect, manipulate, analyze and visualize data for decision-making across all aspects of an organization. This is a highly sought-after skill by businesses looking to capitalize on big data.
RIC’s minor will teach you how to process and clean data; extract value from it; choose one or more potential models and algorithms; and present your final results. Courses in the minor include computer programming, math/statistics, data analytics and data visualizations.
SAS Analytics Software & Solutions and RIC
- Since its founding in 1976, Cary, NC-based SAS has been empowering and inspiring customers and learners around the world with the most trusted analytics including AI (artificial intelligence), machine learning, Cloud and IoT analytics.
- SAS provides educational access to many of their software products and educational materials through a virtual learning environment, an online platform available free of charge to students and faculty. This includes SAS OnDemand for Academics, a cloud-based software for or statistical analysis, data mining and forecasting, and SAS Viya for Learners, a platform that provides tools for AI, analytics and data management.
- By using the SAS virtual learning environment and software platforms, students will have the opportunity to access e-learning courses, practice and master key concepts, earn badges and be prepared to take SAS certification exams.
SAS Badges and Certifications
- SAS Certified Specialist: Visual Business Analytics - This exam is based on two SAS e-learning courses (Visual Analytics 1 and Visual Analytics 2) that are incorporated into CIS 470 Introduction to Data Analytics.
- RIC students will receive a discounted certification exam voucher.
- RIC students who complete the Minor in Data Analytics will earn a SAS Academic Specialization badge.[CC1]
CIS 470 Introduction to Data Analytics
- This is a required course for the Minor in Data Analytics.
- It introduces students to the entire analytics cycle and incorporates two SAS e-learning courses as part of its curriculum - SAS Visual Analytics 1 for SAS Viya: Basics and SAS Visual Analytics 2 for SAS Viya: Advanced.
- Students will earn a badge upon successful completion of each SAS e-learning course and will be prepared to take the SAS Certified Specialist: Visual Business Analytics certification Exam.
CIS 455 Database Management
- This is a required course for the B.S. in Computer Information Systems (CIS).
- It incorporates one SAS e-learning course as part of its curriculum - SAS SQL 1: Essentials. SQL is a universal standard in database management and has many implementations across analytics software.
- Students will earn a badge upon successful completion of this SAS e-learning course.