Long Term Care C.U.S.
Understanding Long-Term Care
Long-term care consists of services designed to assist with a person's health or personal care needs during a period of time, either short or long. These services enable the person to live as independently and safely as possible, when they are at a point in their life when they can no longer accomplish typical, daily activities without assistance. Long-term care can be given in different settings by various caregivers - all in support of the individual's needs.
Why Pursue the Long-Term Care C.U.S.
This Certificate of Undergraduate Study (C.U.S.) course will ensure that students:
- are acquainted with current long term care laws and regulations applicable in the United States
- gain and demonstrate familiarity with statues and regulations at the federal and state level that apply to long term care
- understand how to access and retrieve long term care laws and regulations
- can apply practical methods and tools for administrators to successfully understand and meet these requirements
More Detailed Learning Outcomes
- understand the history of long term care legislation in the United States and in Rhode Island and the legislative process for enacting legislation
- differentiate between the organizational structures within government branches and their respective roles in the formation of long term care rules and regulations
- understand the federal and state requirements for professionals in nursing homes including staffing requirements
- understand the components of a patient assessment and comprehensive care plan
- understand laws and regulations regarding a patient’s rights; understand the role of resident and family councils in a nursing home
- understand regulations related to patient care ( infection control, medication administration, pain management behavioral health, safe patient handling)
- understand regulations related to the environment of care ( life safety codes, OSHA, occupational hazards, facility design, emergency preparedness)
- understanding of the state survey process