Transfer Students

Jason Ryan's Class

Rhode Island College welcomes students who wish to transfer from two-year and four-year, regionally accredited colleges and universities. Whether your transferring from a community college and planning to complete a bachelor's degree; or transferring from a four-year institution looking for academic reputation, choices for majors, small class size and affordable tuition, a better fit awaits you at RIC.


Interested in transferring to RIC?

Complete our request information form to get connected and we'll get right back to you with the information you're looking for.​

Transfer Student Admission Process

Transfer GPA and Earned Credit Requirements

Admission decisions for transfer students are based on the applicant's college-level academic record.

Transfer students must have a

  1. Minimum of 24 earned college credits in a diversified program of study.
  2. Minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 with 24 or more earned college credits.

Credits must be completed by June 1 prior to the fall semester for fall admission or by September 1 prior to the spring semester for spring admission. Students not meeting the above requirements must apply as freshmen; however, any earned college credits will be evaluated for transfer.

The majority of students accepted as transfers have a 2.5 or higher GPA with 24 to 29 earned college credits.

Transfer Guide for RI public colleges & universities

The information in this guide aids in the efficient facilitation of transfer among the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI), Rhode Island College (RIC) and the University of Rhode Island (URI).
View the transfer guide.

Application Materials

Students interested in transferring to Rhode Island College should submit:

  • A completed Common Application, available at, and nonrefundable $50 application fee. Please note: Recommender forms contained on the Common Application are NOT required. Simply request an offline form in this section to skip.
  • Official transcripts from ALL college(s) attended, whether or not you expect or desire credit for such work. Applications will be reviewed when all transcripts are received.

Evaluation of Credits

Students will receive a preliminary, unofficial evaluation with their acceptance letter. An official evaluation of transfer credit is completed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for all students once enrolled in the college, and can be viewed on your MyRIC account by selecting “Transfer Credit Report” on the “Academics” menu.

Prior to admission, applicants interested in how their credits will transfer to RIC may view a list of prior approved courses and build a credit evaluation using RIC’s Transfer Evaluation System (TES). Students transferring from CCRI or URI are advised to visit the state transfer website,, for more information regarding transfer within the RI state system.

Students may also request a preliminary evaluation through email by sending transcripts and intended major to Or by making a transfer credit evaluation appointment with a counselor

RIC representatives also visit local community college campuses regularly. Consult your campus advising office or visit our travel calendar for dates RIC will be visiting your campus.

Policy Details

Transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university is normally granted for those courses in which you have earned a grade of C or higher, if the coursework is comparable to that which is taught at Rhode Island College. Transfer credit will count toward the academic major, toward the General Education component, or as elective credit.

The courses involved must represent a full academic experience, with appropriate required readings, tests, papers, and examinations. Courses taken Pass/Fail may be evaluated for transfer credit provided a student can offer official documentation of a grade of C or higher in the course. Noncredit courses and continuing education units will not transfer. On occasion, students will present course credits for evaluation in areas of study not offered at the college; for instance, engineering. If these courses meet appropriate academic standards, they may be used as elective credits, but not credits toward the major.

Transferred courses that are 10 years old or older will be awarded elective credit or, if appropriate, general education credit. The chair of the student's major department may evaluate how or if specific major course credit is to be awarded. The college also accepts proficiency credit awarded through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests and DANTES (armed forces).

JST transcripts are evaluated for prior learning credit. Students submitting military transcripts will receive a separate letter awarding credit based on ACE Credit Recommendations included in the JST.

Students may transfer up to 75 credits. Transferred courses are not included in the calculation of your RIC GPA.

Honors for Transfers

Transfer students with superior academic records may participate in General Education Honors (depending on the number of General Education courses they have already completed), in the Honors Colloquium, and in Departmental Honors. Transfer applicants must have at least a 3.5 grade point average and 24 credits of diversified liberal arts courses to qualify.

Award details

These awards range from $2,500 to $5,000 and are based on academic achievement as well as financial need. To be considered, an entering transfer student must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 as determined by the college Office of Undergraduate Admissions at the time of acceptance. Eligibility is determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid, using information the FAFSA​. Awards may be renewed for up to three years of study based on need and maintenance of a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.

RIC students on class in Gaige Hall

2 + 2 programs

Rhode Island College has articulation agreements with the Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) and Bristol Community College (Bristol) and offers 2 + 2 plans that show students how to maximize their community college credits for specific majors at RIC. If you follow the plan, you can earn your associate's degree at the community college in two years, then transfer to RIC as a junior to earn a bachelor's degree in two years. Detailed 2 + 2 transfer plans have been created for each institution. Learn more about eligible programs and requirements.


Bristol Community College to RIC