Special Admission Procedures
Special admission procedures are required of international students who wish to study or who are currently studying in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa. This definition does not include permanent residents (who can supply a copy of both sides of the resident alien card) or refugees. International applicants who are transferring from another U.S. college or university must notify the registrar of the "sending" institution of their plans to transfer to Rhode Island College.
Common Application and Supplement
Rhode Island College is an exclusive member of the Common Application. All students applying for undergraduate admission, including international students, must complete the Common Application and Rhode Island College supplement.
All Required Materials
- A completed Common Application and RIC Supplement: This includes the required 250-word college essay and $50 nonrefundable application fee. The Common Application may be completed online. International students currently living or studying in the U.S. must also supply a home country address on the application.
Apply to RIC with the Common Application
- Official transcripts of all academic records: Transcripts from any institution outside of the United States must be evaluated by a US evaluation company such as Spantran Pathways - Rhode Island College (offers discounted services) or any current member of the National Association of Credential Services (NACES). Evaluations must include a equivalency of your credentials in terms of U.S. education, a course-by-course evaluation with grades and English translation.
English Language Proficiency: Scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS for students whose native language is not English is required. SAT scores may be required for students whose native language is English.
Please Note: For international students affected by testing center closures due to the coronavirus (COVID-19), Rhode Island College has temporarily approved the use of the Duolingo English Test for English proficiency. Duolingo English tests with a score of 100 or higher will be accepted as evidence of English proficiency for students seeking admission while testing centers are closed.
Minimum Required TOEFL Scores
- Web-based: 79
- Computer-based: 213
- Supplemental paper/pencil: 550
- Minimum required IELTS score: 6.5
If you are accepted to Rhode Island College and require a student visa, financial documentation totaling the cost of attendance is required prior to receiving your I-20 Form.
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
If you need information about the application process, scholarships and financial aid, transfer credits, and more, our dedicated team of admissions counselors are here to guide and support you from your first campus visit to your first day of classes.
- phone1-800-669-5760 ext. (TTY/TDD devices: dial 711)
- placeThe Forman Center