Communication Scholarships and Awards
The Miya D. Brophy-Baermann Scholarship Fund honors the life of Michelle and Bryan Brophy-Baermann's 24-year old daughter, Miya.
Through this fund, scholarships will forever be awarded in Miya’s name to students pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees in the field of communicative disorders (speech-language pathology and audiology).
The Michael A. Valerio ’80 Memorial Scholarship
This yearly scholarship was established in 2011 by the Valerio family because of their and Mike’s belief in the importance of higher education and their wish to give other Rhode Island College students financial support to follow their dreams in communication, especially media communication.
- The recipient must be a full-time undergraduate communications major in good academic standing.
- The recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing.
- The recipient must demonstrate financial need as determined by the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- The recipient must have successfully completed 12 RIC communication credits prior to receiving the award.
- Preference will be given to a student with a concentration related to media communication.
If interested in the Michael A. Valerio Scholarship, email Brian Knoth, Chair of the Communication Department.
This is a tuition-based, financial scholarship that recognizes and supports new and emerging communication and media talent. Full-time Communication majors, who are in good standing, are eligible to apply. The Communication Department will communicate information about the application process and deadline at the beginning of each spring semester. A committee of faculty members will evaluate all applications and determine the distribution of Talent Award funds. Usually, this scholarship is awarded each spring semester for the following academic year.