Special Education B.S.-to-M.Ed.
The B.S.-to-M.Ed. is an early admission option into the M.Ed. in special education, with concentration in urban multicultural special education. It is designed for those special education majors seeking Rhode Island teaching certification in teaching English as a second language. Students in this program learn:
- The structure and acquisition of language and the socio-cultural contexts in which English is learned.
- The nature and role of culture and cultural groups and the ability to create positive learning environments.
- How to provide culturally and linguistically responsive practices.
- How to design and deliver standards-based ESL, literacy and content instruction.
- How to collaborate with families, educational personnel and community agencies.
Candidates may apply for conditional admission after completing 60 undergraduate credits. Admission requirements remain the same as the admission requirements for the M.Ed. in special education, with concentration in urban multicultural education.