Class Cancellation / College Closing Information
The Rhode Island College will feature an announcement in the banner on the home page with specific details outlined on the Emergency Management webpage. Normally, the college website will provide the most timely information on class cancellations.
Other sources of information include:
- Local radio and television stations broadcast cancellation announcements through the Rhode Island Broadcasters Association consortium. These announcements may be accessed directly from most major television and am and fm radio stations in the area. Many broadcasters also post cancellation announcements on their web sites.
- The announcement will also be carried on the college’s official institutional Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- A campus-wide email notification will be sent to all faculty and staff as well as to the college email address of all students registered for that semester.
- A text message will be sent through “RICAlert,” the Rhode Island College Emergency Notification System. RICAlert text messages are sent to all cell phones registered in the system. Students, faculty, and staff may register for this service through MyRIC.
- Anchor TV and RIC radio station WXIN will be notified by email.
- Provision will be made to meet the dining needs of residence hall students.
- During emergencies, regardless of whether or not classes are cancelled, other events/activities scheduled on campus may be cancelled. Contact the sponsoring organization for information.
- During any period of locally inclement weather that does not warrant college-wide cancellation of classes, a student unable to get to class shall be allowed, at the first opportunity, to make up any in-class examinations and to submit any assignments that require the student’s physical presence on the campus.
In the event of cancellation of classes, non-teaching employees are still expected to report to work. Employees who are unable to report to work or complete their work schedule due to adverse weather conditions may, with the approval of their supervisor, utilize personal leave, annual leave, salary deferred pay, or leave without pay to compensate for their absence.
Parking lots K (Student Union loop), D (south of Roberts Hall) and E (south of the ALEX AND ANI) will be given priority for clearing during snow emergencies resulting in class cancellation. This is to facilitate access to the dining center for resident students and to provide a cleared parking area for non-teaching employees.
In extreme circumstances when the Governor officially orders a complete or partial shutdown of state services and/or orders the closure of state highways, the pay status of employees will be in accordance with the appropriate collective bargaining agreement or as agreed upon between the Office of the Post-Secondary Council (OPC) and the unions representing the several bargaining units.