- Student Support Services
Student Support Services Program
What We Do
We encourage you to have a positive experience at RIC by providing enough support for students to feel confident in their ability as a scholar, and courageous enough to succeed no matter the obstacle faced. If you are interested in taking that risk, join Student Support Services (SSS).
How You Benefit
- one-on-one advising & counseling
- assistance with the financial aid process
- work with SSS tutors
- seminars & workshops with the SSS community
- advice through the graduate school application process
- cultural events & leadership activities
- access to SSS grant aid scholarships (for eligible students)
To say SSS impacted my college experience is an understatement. They have provided me with all types of support I feel I would have never received anywhere else. They always made sure I was on track and on top of all my work. They taught me to be more outspoken and unafraid to put myself out there. Overall, I would say SSS has provided me with academic skills I did not know I needed, but also skills I will apply outside of school in the real world. And for that I am thankful to the SSS program.
- Cisco Gonzalez, Justice Studies and Sociology Double Major
You must be enrolled at Rhode Island College and either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. In addition you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- first generation college student (neither parent, or guardian has a bachelor's degree)
- meet the Federal TRIO Program Low-income Levels
- have a documented disability
If you are ready to make the next step, use the application form to apply today!
Faculty and Staff Referral
If you know a student who might be interested in or benefit from SSS, please use the referral form to provide us their information. The SSS team will review your form and contact the student.
When thinking of a place where you will be met with care and love, SSS is the first space I think of. Within the office you’re met with individuals who care for you as a student and being. The SSS team will water you as you blossom and continue to pour into you. I have never felt more visible in an environment like I have in SSS. The endless support has allowed me to thrive within all spaces I enter, and I have the SSS team to thank for supporting me in finding myself.
- Cienna De Los Santos, Youth Development Major
Apply to be an SSS Tutor
Overview of Tutoring
How You Will Help
Student Success Services (SSS) tutors are asked to provide academic support to undergraduate students enrolled in the SSS and STEM programs.
You will help students one-on-one or in small groups to review their assignments, course syllabi, and prepare for tests/quizzes. In addition, you will help them organize tasks, manage time, and make responsibilities.
Requirements to be a Tutor
Expectations and Requirements for a SSS Tutor
- undergraduate or graduate Student
- completed 30+ credits
- minimum GPA of a 3.0
- strong organizational, interpersonal and problem solving skills
previous tutoring experience
- served as a peer leader
Undergraduate Student Tutors
$12-15 per hour
Graduate Student Tutors
$15-20 per hour