Admissions FAQs


Commonly asked Student Questions and Answers

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions has compiled a list of common student questions and the answers to them. If your concern isn't addressed here, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, Rhode Island College is a Common Application exclusive institution. The application and all required documents should be submitted online through the Common Application. 

Application materials can also be sent to Rhode Island College at the address below: 

Rhode Island College
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
The Forman Center
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue
Providence, RI 02908-1996

No. Although strongly encouraged, letters of recommendation and the college essay are optional. 

RIC requires that applicants have completed at least 18 college preparatory units (courses) including: 4 units of English, 3 units of math (Algebra I, II, and Geometry), 2 units of laboratory science, 2 units of the same foreign language, 2 units of history or social science, and 5 additional academic units from the arts, math, foreign language, social sciences, or science.

Rhode Island College is test optional. SAT or ACT scores are not required for admission to the college, or for consideration of merit scholarship. 

Please note: The Feinstein School of Education and Human Development (FSEHD) requires students interested in Education to take and pass the basic skills tests (SAT or ACT).

No, interviews are not required. However, students are welcome to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to speak to an Admissions Counselor about their application.

Please note: Interviews may be required for nontraditional programs such as Performance Based Admission (PBA) and the Preparatory Enrollment Program (PEP). 

First-year students who have taken college level courses should request an official copy of their college transcript(s) be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Credit will be awarded based on Rhode Island College's current transfer credit policy.

An official copy of any AP or CLEP exam score reports should also be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions if you wish to receive credit. 

Students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon after October 1 as possible. The priority consideration deadline is March 15 and RIC's Federal School Code is 003407. 

Please visit the Office of Financial Aid for more information. 

After we receive your Common Application, you will receive an email confirmation with instructions on how to log into your MyRIC portal to view the status of your application.  All required materials must be received before your application is reviewed and an admissions decision is made.  Decisions are made on a rolling basis, and you will be notified by mail shortly after a decision is made.  We do not release admissions decisions over the phone.

Incoming students with a 3.7 GPA or higher, or who are ranked in the top 10% of their graduating class, may be considered for the Honors Program. The priority deadline for Honors Program consideration is December 15.

Rhode Island College currently has 6 residence halls that accommodate approximately 1,200 students. We have been able to house all incoming first-year students who request to live on our beautiful suburban campus. 

Yes. Rhode Island College provides free parking permits to our campus community. Once enrolled, you can request a parking permit through Campus Police. 

No. You may take a class as a non-degree student. Non-degree students earn credits and pay per credit, but will not yet be in a degree program. Non-degree students are typically not eligible for financial aid (except in a limited number of certificate programs).

For more information about registering for a class as a non-degree student, please contact the Records Office at 401-456-8213.

Congratulations! Accepted students should submit their $200 enrollment deposit by May 1 to secure their place in the class. Once your enrollment deposit is paid, you will receive a RIC email address as well as information about New Student Orientation. 

Rhode Island College entrance

Have more questions?

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

If you need information about the application process, scholarships and financial aid, transfer credits, and more, our dedicated team of admissions counselors are here to guide and support you from your first campus visit to your first day of classes.