Student Support Services (SSS)
Our main goal is to get students to reach the most important milestone in college, graduation. We encourage you to have a positive experience at RIC by providing enough support for students to feel confident in their ability as a scholar, and courageous enough to succeed no matter the obstacle faced. If you are interested in taking that risk, join SSS.
Here are some of the benefits of being an SSS student at RIC:
- Access to SSS Grant Aid Scholarships (for eligible students)
- One-on-One Advising & Counseling
- Support in adjusting to Virtual Learning
- Assistance with the Financial Aid Process
- Work with SSS Tutors
- Seminars & Workshops with your SSS community
- Advice through the Graduate School Application Process
- Cultural Events & Leadership Activities
- Enrolled at Rhode Island College
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
Meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First generation college student (neither parent, or guardian has a bachelor's degree)
- Meet the Federal TRIO Program Low-income Levels
- Have a documented disability
If you know a student who might be interested in or benefit from SSS, please use this form to provide us their information. The SSS team will review your form and contact the student.
Overview of Tutoring
Student Success Services (SSS) tutors are asked to provide academic support to undergraduate students enrolled in the SSS and STEM programs.
You will help students one-on-one or in small groups to review their assignments, course syllabi, preparing for tests/quizzes and help them organize and manage time and responsibilities.
Requirements to be a Tutor
Expectations and requirements to be a SSS Tutor:
- Undergraduate or Graduate Student
- Completed 30+ credits
- Minimum GPA of a 3.0
- Strong Organizational, Interpersonal and Problem Solving Skills
- Previous Tutoring Experience
- Served as a Peer Leader
Undergraduate Student Tutors
$12-15 per hour
Graduate Student Tutors
$15-20 per hour