All undergraduate, Rhode Island College students are assigned an academic advisor to support their academic experience. Through advising meetings, students will learn about academic requirements and policies, resources, and all the opportunities that come with being a RIC student. 

Review these FAQs as you prepare for advising meetings and course registration.

RIC Advising Frequently Asked Questions


Why do I need an advisor?

Your academic advisor is a great source of RIC knowledge and resources, so get to know them and don’t hesitate to reach out to them with questions. You are required to meet with your advisor each semester to talk through course registration, academic performance and planning, resource referral, and any other questions or concerns you have related to your academic experience at RIC. Your advisor will also ensure you are making regular progress towards graduation requirements based on your major. Your academic advisor is the person who releases the Universal Advising Hold (UAD) before you register for courses. 

How do I find out who my advisor is?

To find out who your advisor is, login to myRIC. Once logged in, click on Student Center. On the bottom right side of the page, you will see a box that says Program Advisor. Your assigned advisor will be listed here. If you click on Details, you will see your current major and a link with your advisor’s email address.

What if I don’t have an advisor assigned in myRIC?

If you do not have an advisor assigned in myRIC and you are Exploring, first-year Intended Nursing, first-year Intended Education, first-year Intended Medical Imaging, or a first-year in the School of Business, please email the Office of Academic Advising

If you are another major or a transfer student coming in with more than 24 credits, please contact the department chair.

What if I have more than one advisor assigned?

Students with double majors will have an advisor from each department. While either one can release your UAD, it’s best to schedule appointments with both, so that you discuss your progress in each major.

Students wanting to earn a Bachelor’s degree in Secondary Education will also have a major in a particular discipline. These students will have two advisors, one in Secondary Education and one in the discipline the student has chosen. They must meet with both advisors.

Can I just go to the Office of Academic Advising for registration advising?

The professional advisors in the Office of Academic Advising, and departmental faculty advisors, are assigned strategically to best support you on your journey at RIC based on program of study. You are required to meet with your assigned advisor.

How often should I meet with my advisor?

You must meet with your advisor at least once each semester for registration. You will have an advising hold on your account until you meet with your assigned advisor. It is important to check-in on progress and ensure you are registering for courses that will count towards graduation. You are encouraged to meet with your advisor as needed throughout the semester for general conversations about support and resources, academic planning, and major exploration.


How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

For many advisors, you can schedule an appointment with them through Starfish. To login into Starfish, login to MyRIC and from the Student Homepage, choose the Starfish icon.

If you are unsure about how to best schedule an appointment with your advisor, please email them directly.

How long before registration should I schedule an advising appointment?

It is recommended that you meet with your advisor a few weeks ahead of your registration date. If you meet with your advisor after your registration date, you may have a difficult time registering for the classes you want or need. Each advisor and department has their own process for scheduling advising appointments. Be sure to check your RIC email for communication around registration advising. 

How do I prepare for my advising appointment?

  • Come with questions for your advisor
  • Be honest about your academic experience!
  • Review your major requirements and your course history – look at your Academic Advisement Report and/or transcript
  • Familiarize yourself with MyRIC - search for potential courses, check your Student Center for current holds, etc.

Where do I find my unofficial transcript or Academic Advisement Report before my advising meeting?

Both documents can be found by going to MyRIC, clicking on Student Center, and then go to the pull-down menu, “other academic…,” to the left of your schedule. Pull down and select “Transcript: View Unofficial” or “Academic Advisement Report”, depending on which document you would prefer. Then, double click on the arrow to the right of the menu and continue to click through to your document.

What if I miss my advising appointment?

Plan to add all appointments to your calendar to help you remember! If you miss it, email or call your advisor as soon as possible and reschedule through Starfish. Advisors work with many students, so you may not be able to reschedule immediately. If you know in advance that you can’t make an appointment, be sure to let your advisor know so they can open that time to another student. 

Majors and Minors

How do I change, add or drop a major or minor?

To change, add or drop a major or minor, you will need to go to the department of the major or minor you want to add, drop or change to. For example, if you are Exploring and want to declare your major in Justice Studies, you would need to contact the Justice Studies department chair to add this major.

What can I do with a major in (fill in the blank)?

Many students have this question while exploring majors! While some majors have clearer career paths, students pursuing all majors at RIC have ample career opportunities following graduation. If you are unsure about career opportunities stemming from a certain major, you could speak to your advisor or other professors in the department about professions people with your major go into. You could go to the Career Development Center to meet with a career coach and/or go to alumni events sponsored by departments of interest. No matter your major, your RIC education is providing you with the kinds of analytical, communication, and life-long learning skills employers seek when hiring.

Can I have more than one major or minor?

Yes! Depending on your primary major, it may be possible for you to have more than one major and/or minor. It’s all about understanding how many credits your major will consist of as well as the basic number of credits for your General Education Requirements. Given that you must have completed 120 credits to graduate, if you plan strategically, having multiple majors or a major and multiple minors, is doable. Your advisor can help you with academic planning that will help you achieve your goals.

I am worried about my success in my current major. Where should I start?

Sometimes you have planned on a certain major, and then you get to college, start taking classes in the major, and realize it’s not a good fit. While this may be a transition, it can lead to an exciting opportunity to explore your passions, interests, and strengths to discover a major that will lead to a fulfilling career. Your assigned advisor, the Career Development Center, a trusted professor, or other resources on campus, can be great places to start this transition. In fact, you might want to talk to several people to get multiple perspectives to help explore a new path for you.

If you were not accepted into a program with secondary admission, it’s important you realize that you have other options. Talk to your advisor to discuss other majors with similar career outlook. If you have another area of interest, make an appointment with the department or program chair to discuss what this major will entail.

Policies & Procedures

When do I register for classes?

In MyRIC, go to Student Center.  In a blue box on the right hand side, look for where it says, “Enrollment Dates” and then click on “details.” This will take you to the date and time you are able to register for classes.

How do I know what courses I need to graduate?

Your advisor is your main point of contact in creating your plan for graduation and course selection each semester.

The online College Catalog will walk you through the General Education Requirements as well as the requirements of your major(s)/minor(s). Make sure you select the catalog for the year you entered the College. You can also review your Academic Advisement Report, which is aligned with your declared major requirements. 

What is the College Math Milestone requirement?

The College Math Milestone is a requirement for all students at RIC. When beginning at RIC, you will be required to take the Math Placement Exam. You can fulfill the Math Milestone requirement in three ways: through your Math Placement Score, by transferring in a RIC Math course equivalent, or by completing the Math 010 course. You are required to complete the Math Milestone requirement in your first semester at RIC.

Please note, the Math Milestone requirement is different from the Math General Education course requirement.

Can I take a required course at another school and receive credit at RIC?

Yes, but you must make sure it will be accepted. To do this, you need to go to the chair of the department that the course falls under for approval before taking the course. Please complete the Authorization of Credit Form.

I am questioning how my transfer credits came over. How can I check this?

  • To see how your credit transferred to RIC, first, look at the “Transfer Credit Report” on the “Academics” menu on MyRIC.
  • If the course(s) in question do(es) NOT appear on your transfer credit report, Admissions would require an updated copy of your transcript to post missing courses. No form is required.
  • If you have questions about how your credits transferred, contact admissions at
  • If the course(s) in question is/are on your transfer credit report, but you want to appeal how they transferred, what you do next depends on the course, but a great place to start is with admissions at
  • See how RIC transfers your CCRI courses.

MyRIC is telling me I do not have the prerequisites for a course, but I do. Who can help me?

First, check in with your advisor to ensure you do have the prerequisite needed for the course you are trying to register for. Once confirmed, the chair of the department offering the course can help you with this. If it is in relation to a Connections course, you should contact Associate Dean of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Joan Dagle, at

What is the Add/Drop period?

The very beginning of each semester has an Add/Drop period. See the Academic Calendar for the specific dates and guidelines around Add/Drop. 

What is a class waitlist and how can I join one?

If a class has a waitlist, that means the course is full, but you can get added to the list in case another student drops the course. You can join a waitlist through MyRIC. 

You are not officially enrolled when on the waitlist! Contact the instructor of the course to try to attend the first class and get access to the syllabus. Talk to the professor to see if there is any opportunity to be added to the class. It is important to have another course option prepared if you cannot get off the waitlist.

How do I withdraw from a class? Can I get my money back?

After the Add/Drop period has ended, you may withdraw from a course until the Withdrawal Deadline by completing the Course Withdrawal Form. See the Academic Calendar for the specific date. Depending on the date of withdrawal from your schedule, there may be a partial refund based on the College Refund Policy. Withdrawal from courses can also affect your financial aid as explained in the Office of Financial Aid's Frequently Asked Questions.

Please note: This does not apply to students involuntarily called to military service.

After the final day to withdraw has passed, it may still be possible to withdraw from a class due to extenuating circumstances (not a bad grade). Connect with your advisor to talk through options based on your situation. If, at any time during the semester, you stop attending class and don’t talk to your instructor, be prepared to earn a failing grade. More information on options and procedures for withdrawing from a course is available from the Registrar's Office or the Office of Student Life.

I failed a class, and my GPA is being impacted. Is there anything I can do?

If you fail a course, you can repeat a course for grade replacement. You must do this at RIC and it must be the same course. To attempt a course for the third time, you will have to appeal to the Undergraduate Academic Standing Committee for permission. If you are repeating a course, learn from your first attempt at the course and get connected to support early on. For details about repeating a course, please consult with your advisor.

Academic Standing Policy

I’m confused about my financial aid. Who can help with this?

Every student has a financial aid counselor. Meet Your Counselor will help you learn who your counselor is. The Financial Aid office also has a helpful list of Frequently Asked Questions.

I am not doing well in a class. Where can I get help?

A great place to start is to talk to your instructor. They may be able to provide additional support over email and/or through meeting during their office hours. Your instructor may recommend connecting with tutoring through the Academic Success Center, which offers group and individual support for many subjects. They also offer more general support in test preparation, note-taking, study skills, and time management. The Math Learning Center offers tutoring support in mathematics. You can also go to the Writing Center to discuss concerns with any phase of writing for any class. All services are included in your tuition.

If you would like to talk through general support and resources for academic success, please reach out to your academic advisor!

Rhode Island College entrance

For More Information

Office of Academic Advising

We advise specific student populations and coach students navigating Academic Standing. We guide students as they navigate their major and career options and connect them to the proper resources.