Parking Procedures at Rhode Island College
ALL current Commuter student and Faculty/Staff parking permits will remain in force and DO NOT have to be replaced.
Commuter students and Faculty/Staff permit colors will remain the same:
- COMMUTER STUDENTS may park in designated Commuter Lots, Open Lots, and approved on-street parking.
- ALL RESIDENT STUDENTS with vehicles MUST get a new NAVY colored permit and park ONLY in L LOT during the day. After 5 p.m. resident students are allowed to park next to the RECREATION CENTER until closing.
- FACULTY/STAFF may park in designated Faculty/Staff Lots, Open Lots, and approved on-street parking
- ADMINISTRATION has assigned parking.
- DISABILITY PARKING: Student temporary disability parking permits can be requested by contacting the Disability Service Center. For Faculty and Staff looking for a temporary disability parking permit, fill out a Temporary Parking Permit and bring it to the Office of Human Resources.
Please be advised that by State law campus parking tickets are now $85 per violation. Campus Police will ticket violators for parking in unauthorized lots. Tickets will also be issued to vehicles that have no permit on their car.
|Commuter Students (Gold)||Parking available in lots B, E3, E6, F, H, I, J (lower two-thirds), 36, and Y.|
|Resident Students (Navy)||Parking available in lot L. Parking also available in lot E3 (Recreation Center) after 5 p.m.|
|Faculty/Staff, Adjunct Faculty, Part-Time Employees (Burgundy)||Parking available in lots D, V, 34, Q, 37, W, S, J (upper third), M, N, E9, E4, E7, E8, and E11. Parking also available in lot E3 (Recreation Center) after 5 p.m.|
|Visitors||All visitors MUST check in with Campus Police at The Welcome Center (Mt. Pleasant Avenue entrance) to obtain a visitor parking tag. Visitors can park in ANY lot with an authorized visitor tag.|
|Open Parking (Grey)||Parking lots A, C, K, 28, and Welcome Center as well as street parking, represent open parking which is available to all groups with the exception of resident students.|
All visitors MUST check in with Campus Police at The Welcome Center (Mt. Pleasant Avenue entrance) to obtain a visitor parking tag. Visitors can park in ANY lot with an authorized visitor tag.
Any non-resident student staying overnight in a residence hall must obtain a visitor's tag at Campus Police located in The Welcome Center.
- Go to the Campus Police office located in The Welcome Center.
- You must have your operator’s license, student identification, registration, and evidence of insurance present when picking up your temporary visitor parking pass.
- There is no longer parking on Dorm Lane due to fire safety regulations.
- All are pre-approved for one parking permit. Faculty & Staff: If you require an extra permit, you will need to request this through Campus Police.
- If your vehicle does not have a permit for any reason, you will need to notify Campus Police at (401) 456-8888.
- For temporary disability access, students should request assistance from the Disability Services Center.
Faculty and staff should speak with Beth Cabana in the Office of Human Resources regarding the Temporary Parking Program.
- No overnight parking is allowed except in parking lots L (for resident students only) and M (for police personnel only). If overnight parking is needed, students and faculty must first check with Campus Police.
- Any non-resident student staying overnight in a residence hall must obtain a visitor's tag at Campus Police located in The Welcome Center.
- Faculty and staff members who have bought new vehicles must bring their old permit back to Campus Police. A new one will be issued to you.
- Currently enrolled RIC students are able to receive parking permits. However, if you are not currently enrolled, you cannot receive a parking permit.
Temporary Parking Program In the case of medical necessity, Rhode Island College has five (5) temporary parking signs available for placement throughout the campus. Temporary parking spaces are designed to provide employees and students with temporary accommodated access to their work/study locations and are reviewed and granted on a first-come-first-serve basis.
An employee must submit a request to Beth Cabana in the Office of Human Resources (HR) at (401) 456-9841 or email@example.com for a temporary parking pass. Requests must be accompanied by medical documentation from a physician, indicating the need for the temporary parking space as well as the duration of the accommodation (issued for up to 30 days, and extended if needed). In addition, the request must include vehicle information (make, model, color of vehicle, and license plate number).
A student must submit a request to the Disability Services Center at (401) 456-2776 for a temporary parking pass. The Disability Services Center contacts HR and provides all contact and vehicle information (make, model, color of vehicle, and license plate number).
Upon approval, HR contacts Physical Plant Administration for placement of the temporary parking sign. HR also provides campus police with vehicle information. If the temporary parking pass is for a student, HR notifies the Disability Services Center.
An approved employee or student receives only one assigned parking space for the entire approved period. Any person authorized to use this permit is NOT AUTHORIZED TO PARK IN DESIGNATED HANDICAP PARKING SPACES (blue signs). Under this program a handicap parking space may NOT be designated as a temporary parking space. All decisions regarding permits are final. Permits are not valid for use other than on the RIC main campus. Parking signs may NOT be moved without express approval from HR.
HR notifies the employee or student that his or her request has been approved with the location of the temporary parking space. HR and the employee or student make arrangements to pick up the temporary parking hang tag. HR monitors the expiration of the temporary parking signs and will notify the employee or student prior to the expiration date. HR also notifies Physical Plant Administration two (2) days prior to the expiration date for sign removal. Violations of the above rules of usage may result in immediate suspension of temporary parking permit privileges.