The Department of Economics and Finance focuses on how businesses, governments, institutions and even individuals make decisions about spending and policy.
- placeAlger Hall 203
Economics is concerned with the big picture, or general questions about human behavior around the allocation of resources. It examines:
- how goods and services are made, distributed and used
- how the economy overall functions
- the people who drive economic activity
Finance is concerned with how money flows through the market and the techniques and tools of managing money. Finance involves assessing:
- other aspects of financial systems.
Whichever one of these disciplines you choose to go into, the Department of Economics and Finance will prepare you for a wide variety of careers, including corporate finance, insurance, banking, personal finance and securities. We also offer minors in finance, economics and international business.
News About Our Department and its Students
No matter where you go, people are talking about rising costs. What is inflation and how did we get here? Hear it from an expert – RIC Assistant Professor of Economics Ignacio Ramirez Cisneros.
“Everyone deserves a shot at financial security.” — Marcy Reyes ’12
- Economics Finance Department Newsletter No.2 AY2019-2020
- Economics Finance Department Newsletter No.1 AY2018-2019