Admission to the School of Nursing is a two-step process. First you must be admitted to the college. Once you have been admitted to the college, you can apply for admission to the School of Nursing.
Admission to the College
Submit a transfer application to Rhode Island College through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at www.commonapp.org and declare nursing as your major. Official transcripts (sealed) must be sent to the admissions office for review by a transfer counselor. Once a complete review of your admissions materials has taken place, a letter will be sent to you advising you of their decision. You will be advised of the number of credits you can transfer to the college and will also be informed of the completion of math and writing requirements. It is important to note that if you are accepted you must submit the required acceptance fee before admission to the college can become official. After acceptance to the college:
- You must complete the Nursing R.N. to B.S.N. Enrollment Form signed by your faculty advisor and submit it to the School of Nursing by Nov. 15 or April 15 of the semester prior to senior coursework.
- You must complete NURS 207, with a minimum grade of C.
- You must complete the College Mathematics and Writing Requirements.*
- You must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.50.
- You must have current R.N. licensure.
*Refer to the Rhode Island College Catalog for descriptions of the Math Competency and Writing Requirements.
Admission to the Zvart Onanian School of Nursing
You can apply for admission to the Zvart Onanian School of Nursing, provided the following additional requirements are met:
- You have a GPA of 2.5.
- You have enrolled in or completed NURS 207, with a grade of C or better.
- You have completed the College Mathematics and Writing Requirements.
- You have submitted the Nursing R.N. to B.S.N. Enrollment Form. Please note that materials that must be submitted with the form include:
- A current professional résumé that includes: prior education, employment experience, employment-related committees/activities, professional associations/honors, community service awards and publications/research/special projects (if applicable).
- Proof of your current unrestricted R.N. licensure for the practice of nursing in Rhode Island. Go to: http://health.ri.gov/licenses/detail.php?id=231
- Even though official transcripts have been sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, the department requires a second set of all transcripts for their department files. Student copies are acceptable.
- A 2x2 color photo of yourself.
Only completed and signed packets will be accepted and must be submitted to the School of Nursing office. No email or faxed applications will be accepted.