The RIC Workforce Development Hub is an economic, educational and health-centered engine for Central Falls and Blackstone Valley - bringing vital skills and training to its citizens and strengthening its community.
How the Hub Works
The Rhode Island College Workforce Development Hub works with community organizations as well as partners in education, government, healthcare, and industry to build the knowledge and skills of Rhode Islanders.
- not only meet but elevate RIC’s mission to serve the greater RI community
- create an opportunity for our partnering employers to build a multilingual, health-centered and culturally competent workforce
- provide job training, career, and college opportunities in high-demand fields for underserved urban citizens
- aid and complement adult education and workforce development initiatives, programming and partnerships supported by the Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner, as well as other adult education and workforce development initiatives in the region
- increase experiential learning and research opportunities for RIC students and faculty
The Hub's partners include representatives from each of the following organizations:
- Central Falls School District
- City of Central Falls
- Navigant Credit Union
- Office of the Postsecondary Commissioner
- Progreso Latino
- Skills for Rhode Island’s Future
How to Participate
Our ESL classes are designed to improve students’ grammar, speaking, listening, writing and reading abilities for academic and professional purposes. We offer classes at several proficiency levels and classes typically start twice per year in the fall and spring.
In class, instructors use a variety of methods and techniques to meet students’ needs. Students will experience language learning through communicative and academic focused lessons. In each class, students are required to be actively involved in practicing their English with a variety of classroom activities including:
- conversation practice
- guided grammar practice
- writing assignments
- academic presentations
- interactive class activities
among many other engaging activities.
Training Programs: Certificate of Continuing Study (CCS) Programs
CCS programs serve career, training and/or professional development needs in specific fields. The Hub offers the following CCS programs:
- Medical Assistant Training | ESL Contextualized Medical Assistant Training (RI-Best)
- ESL Contextualized Foundations in Community Health Worker Training (RI-Best)
- Bookkeeping and Accounting
Learn more about these and all CSS programs offered by RIC
Customized Training Programs: For Employer Partners and their Employees
Through these programs, the Hub provides customized training for its partnering employers and their employees. These trainings are tailored to each employer and serve to address their specific workforce development needs. In this way, employers can truly get their employees the exact skills needed for their joint success.
Let Us Know You're Interested
If you're a community member looking to gain skills and training to better your future, or if you're an employer interested in partnering, please reach out or visit us at 934 Dexter Street in Central Falls, RI 02863.